Academic Credit Options:
CHS 494/495/695: Field Studies in Public Health/Special Problems in Public Health: Niyo Cultural Centre, Rwanda
Aug. 4-23, 2017
The course will introduce students to the main concepts of the public health field and the critical links between global health and social and economic development. Students will get an overview of the determinants of health and how health status is measured. Students will also review risk factors and key measures to address the burden of disease in cost-effective ways. Although the course will cover concepts and frameworks, it will also be very practical in orientation through hands-on experiences at Niyo Cultural Centre. The course will be global in coverage, with a special focus on Rwanda.
The medical, psychosocial, cultural, political, ethical, and economic aspects of various global health issues will be addressed through lectures, interactive class sessions, guest presentations, student presentations, media/film, and writing assignments with a special focus on the health of Rwanda.
- Class open only to participants selected by the instructor. This is a travel program to Rwanda. For more information, contact instructor at Gerold Dermid-Gray email@example.com or visit www.ACO.unr.edu. Mandatory pre-trip orientation, June 2017.
- Fees include 3 academic credits, accommodations in Rwanda, in country transportation, entrance fees to scheduled museums/tours, and SOME dinners.
- Participants are responsible for: Transportation to/from Kenya, incidentals, all meals except those mentioned above, and all personal activities.
- $500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fees. Note: A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.
- It is required each student register for the SMART TRAVELER ENROLLMENT PROGRAM. A free service provided by the U.S. Department of State. https://step.state.gov/step and purchase TRAVEL INSURANCE with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical & evacuation services. Recommended vendor: http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Required textbook and supplemental readings listed in syllabus.
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed. Contact Academic Credit Options at www.ACO.unr.edu Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.