The multidisciplinary, 4-course (12-credit) Online Graduate Renewable Energy Certificate is delivered in a flexible, online format with course offerings in the spring, summer, and fall semesters. Courses are offered from several engineering disciplines, as well as the College of Science and the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Nevada, Reno.
Designed for professionals in the energy industry, including administrators, engineers, and others impacted by new policies and practices relating to renewable energy, the program provides working professionals with the opportunity to learn about energy technologies, energy markets and business, and energy policy. Graduates of this certificate program will be prepared to apply their knowledge in the energy-related workplace.
Certificate Requirements and Course Format
Students must complete four 3-credit courses (12 credits total) to earn the certificate. Courses are delivered in online format with course offerings every spring, summer, and fall semesters.
- Interdisciplinary fundamentals of alternative energy and public policy process
- Policy instruments utilized to foster use and development of renewable energy
- Business, legal and public policy issues related to renewable energy projects and business development
- Solar energy technologies and applications and related public policy, economic, and environmental issues
- Exploration of the fundamentals and application of biofuels in today’s energy and environmental challenges
- Wind energy technology
- Geothermal energy technology
Visit the curriculum page for a complete description of the GREC courses and schedule.
Why choose the Online Renewable Energy Certificate program?
- The courses are designed and taught by top faculty from Nevada and other research institutions.
- The GREC program is unique in its makeup, offering multidisciplinary courses in engineering, science, business, and political science that are interrelated in the area of renewable energy.
- Selecting four courses from a large group of GREC courses gives you the opportunity to take courses based on your interest areas.
- The online, instructor-led courses are designed to facilitate participation in discussions, case-study analysis, and problem based learning.
- The online format of the courses provides you with the opportunity to participate in courses from anywhere and on your own time schedule.
- Courses may qualify as professional development hours for Professional Engineers (PE) licensed by the State of Nevada and as professional development education for teachers.