(does not include airfare to the Caribbean)
- Tuition for three undergraduate credits in PEX 199
- Continental breakfasts and lunches
- Airport transportation to/from accommodations
- Local transportation for course-related work
- Course equipment
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from the Caribbean, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and all meals except those listed above.
Coming Summer 2020
Location: Bequia Island, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held TBD.
The group will convene in the Caribbean from TBA. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare and meals are not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to the Caribbean.
About the Experience:
This course is part of a three-week travel program held summer 2020. This is an introductory physical education instructor’s course (beginner) aimed at those with an interest in learning sailing instruction. By the end of the course, students should be able to teach safely, effectively and with enthusiasm. The goal is to provide highly qualified instructors who can immediately work at sailing programs such as campus sailing clubs and camps, teaching young sailors from middle school to college freshmen.
Robert Malkin, Ph.D., adjunct professor
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Students also must purchase travel insurance with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical and evacuation services through University-approved insurance vendor Cultural Insurance Services International http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, will be earned in these courses (students MUST register for all three PEX 199 sections):
Special Topics: Leadership in Sailing Education
- PEX 199.5491 Introduction (1 credit)
- PEX 199.5492 Intermediate (1 credit)
- PEX 199.5493 Advanced (1 credit)
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
Robert Malkin, Ph.D., adjunct professor
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
A $500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fee of $TBA. All fees are required to be paid in full prior to course start date of TBA.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by TBA, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.