(does not include airfare to Armenia)
- Three undergraduate or graduate credits in SOC, ANTH, HIST or PSC
- Accommodations in Armenia
- Airport transfers, round-trip, in Armenia
- Local transportation and admission to museums and cultural events for weekday course field trips
- Course materials
- Free internet access
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from Armenia, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and meals.
June 1-16, 2019
Location: Yerevan, Armenia
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held in April 2019.
The group will convene in Yerevan on June 2, 2019, and will disband in Yerevan on June 16, 2019. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare and meals are not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to Armenia.
About the Experience:
Designed to provide a rich historical and cultural experience through intense study, including lectures and field trips, the summer study tour will take place in Yerevan, Armenia. It is offered through the University of Nevada, Reno’s Departments of Sociology, Anthropology, History and Political Science. Participants will visit a variety of exciting and interesting cultural, religious and historical sites during their stay in Armenia.
Examining the social, political and economic structure of Armenia and its transformation from Empire to Republic, this interdisciplinary study tour will explore the dynamics of the modernization process in this centrally located country of many contrasts. The origins and development of Armenian society from the Urartu Empire through the Ottoman period and the Soviet Union to the present-day Armenian Republic will be examined. The course also will provide glimpses of life in Armenia, emphasizing the cultural and historical treasures of Yerevan and its surroundings.Download the information flyer (PDF)
Berch Berberoglu (Berberyan), Ph.D., is a foundation professor of sociology and director of Graduate Studies in sociology at the University of Nevada, Reno, where he has been teaching and conducting research for the past 41 years. He was born in Istanbul, Turkey, to Armenian parents, and he is knowledgeable about Armenian history, culture, religion, politics, economy and society. He also is fluent in reading, writing and speaking in Western Armenian. He has traveled to Armenia on numerous occasions, and he has lectured at a number of universities and academic institutions in Armenia, including Yerevan State University, American University of Armenia, State Engineering University of Armenia and the Armenian National Academy of Sciences. He has visited towns and villages across Armenia, including the neighboring sovereign Armenian territory of the Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh.
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Students also must purchase travel insurance with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical and evacuation services through University-approved insurance vendor Cultural Insurance Services International http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in one of these courses:
- SOC 497/697 (3 credits)
- ANTH 499/699 (3 credits)
- HIST 498/698 (3 credits)
- PSC 407i/607i (3 credits)
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
Berch Berberoglu, Ph.D.
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
A $500 deposit is due when signing up; another $500 is due Feb. 15, 2019. Remaining balance of $1,490 is due March 15, 2019. Early registration is encouraged.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event that the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by April 15, 2019, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.