Academic Credit Registration Requirements

All students who have never attended the University of Nevada, Reno and have not paid the application fee or have a break in enrollment must pay a nonrefundable application fee of $60 if they wish to enroll in undergraduate or graduate credit courses. Students registering for noncredit courses are exempt from this fee.

If you have changed your name since first enrolling at the university, it is important to change it in university records to assure that academic credits will be applied to your transcript. Visit the university's records website to download and submit a change of name form:

All course registration is through the University's MyNEVADA system.


click to expand/collapse Immunization Requirement

All students who wish to enroll in a UNR academic credit course (including Academic Credit Options courses in Extended Studies) that meets within 100 miles of Washoe County (Reno/Sparks/Redfield Campus) MUST submit a copy of official documentation for two doses for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) anytime in your lifetime, and a diphtheria/tetanus (DT) shot within the last 10 years. If you were born prior to 1957, only the DT shot documentation is required.

Effective Aug. 20, 2021, all undergraduate and graduate students are required to provide documentation of a completed vaccination series against COVID-19 before enrolling for the Spring 2022, or future semesters. For more information on this requirement visit:

Documentation must be received before you can register for class. Mail or fax to Academic Credit Options, UNR Extended Studies/0048, Reno, NV 89557, FAX: (775) 784-4801.

click to expand/collapse Textbooks and Materials

Most courses will require purchase of textbook(s) and/or instructional packet(s). Materials will be distributed at the first class, unless otherwise noted.

click to expand/collapse "S/U Only" Courses and "S/U" Option

Most academic credit courses offered through Extended Studies are available for a letter grade. Some may be taken for S/U (pass/fail) only. These are indicated in the university's General Catalog. It is the responsibility of the student to determine whether an "S/U Only" course will meet the student's needs. When the S/U option is chosen for a letter-grade course, a grade of "S" (satisfactory) is awarded upon achievement equivalent to a "C" or above for undergraduate courses or a "B" or above for graduate courses.

click to expand/collapse Grade Reports/Transcripts

The university does not distribute final grade reports by mail. Students may access their final grades by using MyNEVADA or by ordering a transcript. Students should review final grades for accuracy and report any discrepancies immediately. The university posts grades on transcripts only once a semester, regardless of how early in the semester the course may end. This may affect your timing when choosing to take a course, particularly one needed to meet recertification deadlines. A mark of "I" is automatically changed to "F" if the "incomplete" is not made up by the last day of the next regular semester (Summer Session excluded).

click to expand/collapse Graduate Credit

Only students who have earned a bachelor's degree may enroll for graduate credit (500-799). Students who desire graduate credit but have not established status with the university's Graduate School must complete a Graduate Special Application by providing their undergraduate degree information and pay a non-refundable application fee of $60.

click to expand/collapse Nondegree Students

An individual without a bachelor's degree who is not admitted to a degree program is considered a nondegree student and may register for a maximum of eight undergraduate credits per semester. A maximum of 32 credits earned as a nondegree student is acceptable toward a baccalaureate degree. Once admitted to a degree program, the student must pay the non-refundable university application fee again.

click to expand/collapse University Rules and Regulations

Consult the current University of Nevada, Reno General Catalog for information on all university rules and regulations.

click to expand/collapse Course Files

Extended Studies keeps course information on file for five years only. Please retain course information and materials, including course syllabus, that may be needed for recertification.

click to expand/collapse Disability Statement

If you have a specific, documented disability and require appropriate accommodations for this class, as soon as possible please contact the UNR Disability Resource Center at (775) 784-6000 or to make arrangements.

click to expand/collapse Academic Credit Fees

Please note: All fees are subject to change without notice by the Board of Regents. Visit the University's tuition and fee page for more information:

Additional fees may be assessed to cover special costs or materials associated with the program. Please see any class notes that appear with course descriptions for more information.

Nonresident fees are assessed where applicable; for more information visit the University's fees page.

click to expand/collapse Dropping a Course

A class cannot be dropped simply by discontinuing attendance. To drop a course, you must drop through MyNEVADA.

click to expand/collapse Cancellation and Refund Policy

If a class is cancelled by Extended Studies, a full refund will be issued and enrolled students will be notified via phone and/or email.

click to expand/collapse Refund of Fees for Academic Credit Classes

Except for travel/field work courses, to which special provisions apply, refunds for courses are handled in accordance with the university's refund policies for on-campus courses.