(does not include airfare to Bangladesh)
- Three undergraduate credits in CHS
- Accommodations in Bangladesh
- In-country ground transportation
- Research supplies
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from Bangladesh, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and all meals.
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held TBD.
The group will convene in Bangladesh on TBD. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare and meals are not included in the fee.)
- WebCampus course work: TBD
- Bangladesh on-site course work: TBD
Open only to students traveling to Bangladesh.
About the Experience:
The course will allow students to complete a 100-hour internship with the Duwell Medical Foundation in Bangladesh during the Wintermester, focusing on environmental health issues, including chemical characterization of arsenic levels in drinking water, enumeration of health effects associated with chronic arsenic exposure and remediation of residential water supplies with high arsenic loads. Students will learn the importance of culture, education and inclusion through hands-on experience. Students will apply methods relating to general water quality analysis, determinations of arsenic in drinking water, and water treatment for arsenic removal. Learn to develop knowledge to innovate the effective solutions to public health problems through field studies experience and to effectively communicate their work through the creation of a project film.
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Students also must purchase travel insurance with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical and evacuation services through University-approved insurance vendor Cultural Insurance Services International http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in:
- CHS 494/692 Field Studies in Public Health/Independent Study in Health Education: Bangladesh
- Pre-Req 461: ENG 102; CH 201 or CH 202 or CH 203; and junior or senior standing.
- Pre Req 494: CHS 345R; senior standing
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
$200 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fees of $2,955. All fees are required to be paid in full prior to course start date.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event that the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by TBD, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.