(does not include airfare to Bilbao)
- Three undergraduate/graduate credits in ANTH, BASQ, COM, HIST or SOC
- Accommodations in Bilbao
- Continental breakfasts, and arrival and concluding dinners
- Local transportation for course-related work
- Class field trips, cultural and select tours
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from Bilbao, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and all meals except those listed above.
May 15-Aug. 9, 2019
Location: Basque Country
Pre-trip orientation meetings will be held May 15, 2019, and July 1, 2019. Location TBD
The group will convene in the Basque Country from July 15-28, 2019. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare and meals are not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to the Basque Country.
About the Experience:
Discover the rich language, culture and food of the Basque Country. Explore the regional delicacies with food and wine tours. Learn how each region uses food and language to create and define their individual, regional and national identities. The social meaning and setting in which food is produced, consumed and distributed will be discussed. This multidiscipline course draws upon cultural and linguistic anthropology, history, food studies, political science, sociology and film from the Basque Country.
Kerri Lesh, Ph.D.
Kerri Lesh, Ph.D. and CSW (Certified Specialist of Wine) is a graduate and instructor at the University of Nevada, Reno from the Center for Basque Studies. Her research in cultural and linguistic anthropology lies at the intersection of language, food and culture.
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Students also must purchase travel insurance with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical and evacuation services through University-approved insurance vendor Cultural Insurance Services International http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in one of these courses:
- ANTH 499/699 Independent Research
- BASQ 499/699 Individual Research in Basque Cultural Studies
- COM 490/690 Special Problems in Speech Communication
- HIST 498/698 Advanced Historical Studies
- SOC 497/697 Special Topics in Sociology
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
Kerri Lesh, Ph.D.
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
$500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fee of $2,975. All fees are required to be paid in full prior to course start date of May 15, 2019.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by May 15, 2019, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.