(does not include airfare to Paraguay)
- Tuition for three undergraduate or graduate credits in CHS
- Accommodations and meals in Paraguay
- Travel Insurance
- In-country transportation for course-related work
- Class field trips
- Course materials
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from Paraguay, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and all meals not listed above.
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held TBD.
The group will convene in Paraguay on TBD. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare is not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to Paraguay.
About the Experience:
Partner with Future Kind International to work with low-income populations in both and urban areas. Students will conduct a community health needs assessment and lead health education classes on reproductive health, sexually transmitted infections and HIV. Urban projects will be in in the Cateura neighborhood of Asunción, and rural projects will be working with indigenous Aché populations of the Alto Paraná area.
Gerold Dermid, director, outreach, community relations and field studies, School of Public Health
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- Apply to participate
- It is required that each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in one of these courses:
- CHS 494 Field Studies in Public Health (Prerequisites: CHS 345; senior standing)
- CHS 695 Special Problems in Public Health (Prerequisites: junior or senior standing)
- CHS798 Field Studies in Public Health
For registration assistance, please contact ACO
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
Gerold Dermid-Gray email@example.com
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
$500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fee of $TBD. All fees are required to be paid in full prior to TBD.
click to expand/collapse Drop and Refund Policy
If you drop the program, for any reason, and a replacement participant cannot be found to take your place, a refund may not be possible. Due to the costs and logistics of travel programs, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment that is retrievable from the various agencies used in providing the program.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports and any other required travel documents. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks, so plan accordingly. Depending on the country, you may be required to apply for a visa. The cost of visas can vary widely across countries. Check with the U.S. Department of State. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should check with the embassy of your home country and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection department to determine if you need to take any action on your passport.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event that the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by TBD, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.