(does not include airfare to Rwanda)
- Tuition for three undergraduate or graduate credits in CHS
- Accommodations and meals in Rwanda
- In-country transportation for course-related work
- Class field trips
- Course materials
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from Rwanda, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and meals not listed above.
Aug. 3-24, 2019
Final deadline: March 29, 2019
Learn more at the information webinar from noon-1 p.m. March 25. Register now for the free webinar.
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held TBD.
The group will convene in Rwanda on Aug. 3, 2019. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare is not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to Rwanda.
About the Experience:
Learn the history, culture and health needs of the people of Rwanda post-genocide. The history and health impact of genocide will be explored, as well as the rebuilding of the healthcare system. Partner with Niyo Cultural Centre and Hand in Hand for Development to work on leading health education classes on various topics, conducting community assessment interviews related to water, sanitation, hygiene and malaria interventions, and assisting in medical screenings for at-risk populations. Students also will work with women and children in urban Kigali and in a multitude of rural villages.
Gerold Dermid-Gray, coordinator of field education, School of Community Health Sciences
For more information, visit the Community Health Science.
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- Apply to participate
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Students also must purchase travel insurance with a minimum coverage for foreign emergency hospital deposits and emergency medical and evacuation services through University-approved insurance vendor Cultural Insurance Services International http://www.culturalinsurance.com
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in one of these courses:
- CHS 461/661 The World’s Health (Prerequisites: ENG 102, CH 201 or 202 or 203 or 212; junior or senior standing)
- CHS 494 Field Studies in Public Health (Prerequisites: CHS 345; senior standing)
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
$500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fee of $4,200. All fees are required to be paid in full prior to course start date of Aug. 3, 2019.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks. A visa is not required for U.S. citizens.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by Aug. 3, 2019, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.