(does not include airfare to South Africa)
- Tuition for three undergraduate or graduate credits in CHS
- Accommodations in South Africa
- Travel Insurance
- In-country transportation
- Entrance fees to scheduled tours
- All associated program costs
Participants are responsible for:
- Participants are responsible for transportation to and from South Africa, local transportation (not covered by class), passport/visa fees, individual sightseeing, incidental expenses and all meals.
Location: South Africa
Pre-trip orientation meeting will be held TBD.
The group will convene in South Africa on TBD. Participants may extend their stays at their own expense. (Airfare and meals are not included in the fee.)
Open only to students traveling to South Africa.
About the Experience:
This course introduce students to the main concepts of the public health field and the critical links between global health, and social and economic development. Students will explore the history, politics and social justice issues in South Africa history that are central to health and development. Although the course will cover concepts and framework, it also will be practical in orientation through hands-on experiences throughout several locations in South Africa.
The medical, psychosocial, cultural, political, ethical and economic aspects of various global health issues will be addressed through lectures, interactive class sessions, student presentations, media/film, writing assignments, field tours, and service learning experiences with a special focus on the health of South Africa.
click to expand/collapse Registration and Information
- Deposit and registration through MyNevada
- It is required each student register for the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), which is a free service provided by the U.S. Department of State https://step.state.gov/.
- Additional University travel documents are required to be completed prior to departure (no exceptions). Contact Academic Credit Options at ACO@unr.edu. Program pending approval from the University Travel Office.
University credit, included in the fee, may be earned in one of these courses:
- CHS 461 (51010)/ CHS 661 (51011) The World's Health: Spotlight on South Africa Health
- CHS 494 (51012) Field Studies in Public Health: Spotlight on South Africa Health
- CHS 495 (51018)/ CHS 695 (51019) Special Problems in Public Health: Spotlight on South Africa Health
- Pre-Req 461: ENG 102; CH 201 or CH 202 or CH 203; and Jr or Sr standing.
- Pre Req 494: CHS 345R; senior standing
For registration assistance, please contact ACO.
For course content information, please contact the course instructor.
click to expand/collapse Deposit and Fee Payment Schedule
A $500 non-refundable deposit must be paid to obtain permission to register in this program. Deposit is applied toward total program fee of $4,295. All fees are required to be paid in full by (date TBA).
click to expand/collapse Drop and Refund Policy
If you drop the program, for any reason, and a replacement participant cannot be found to take your place, a refund may not be possible. Due to the costs and logistics of travel programs, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment that is retrievable from the various agencies used in providing the program.
click to expand/collapse Passport Requirements
It is imperative participants acquire valid U.S. passports and any other required travel documents. Passport processing may take 10-12 weeks, so plan accordingly. Depending on the country, you may be required to apply for a visa. The cost of visas can vary widely across countries. Check with the U.S. Department of State. If you are not a U.S. citizen, you should check with the embassy of your home country and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection department to determine if you need to take any action on your passport.
click to expand/collapse Standard Responsibility Clause
The University acts as an agent for the companies and individuals whose services have been engaged in the carrying out of the tour and, in consequence, accepts no responsibility for accidents, damages, baggage losses, delays due to strikes or to faults of any company used for carrying out this tour. Prices are subject to change without notice. The right is reserved to decline to accept or retain any person as a member of the tour at any time prior to departure or in the course of the tour. In the unlikely event that the services or accommodations are not available as stated, due to reasons beyond our control, we will make every effort to provide accommodations of equal standard and quality for your safety and convenience. After the initial nonrefundable deposit, refunds will consist only of that portion of the payment retrievable from the various agents. If the final payment is not received by TBA, it will be assumed the participant has withdrawn from the trip.
- Dates and costs are subject to change depending upon rate increases and currency exchanges.
- A portion of program fees may be used to pay hosting expenses.